Paleta recipe is a mixture of sweet and fresh watermelon and mango flavor, with an added kick of hot sauce mixed with Tequila, and is inspired by the delicious and fresh flavors of a Mexican popsicle made of a
To learn how to make this Mexican Candy shot, keep reading.
Here, you will be provided step-by-step directions for preparation and cover how to properly present and serve the shot.
What is a Paleta Shot?
A Paleta is a watermelon-flavored Mexican popsicle that was introduced in the 1940s, in a city called Tocumbo, by a couple of local families and became a major hit with the locals.
The Paleta shot drink originated from El Paso, Texas.
However, it was named after the famous Mexican-style popsicle since the ingredients are made to mimic the watermelon and spicy flavors.
The drink wonderfully combines a favorite childhood treat and an adult beverage which is easier to make.
Paleta shots are made of ingredients, including lime juice, sugar, water, and tequila, and taste like a sweet, refreshing treat.
It has a unique flavor, as it gets a mix of sweet, spicy, and savory.
It is certain types of drinks that fit different kinds of occasions.
You can serve it at Beach parties, Girls’ Nights, Booze Cruise, Bachelorette/Bachelor Parties, Cookouts / BBQs, and Happy Hour.
Ingredients For A Paleta Shot
Here are the ingredients you need to make this shot:
- Watermelon Juice
- Mango Juice
- Frozen Limeade
- The frozen limeade helps to cool down the drink so that it will not burn the throat when drinking it.
Also, it gives it a thicker consistency for easier consumption without burning your mouth on the alcohol.
In addition, it adds sweetness to the drink
- Tequila adds a distinct flavor to the shots, which makes them taste more like tequila.
Moreover, the taste of tequila is usually sweet and bitter, which is why it pairs well with candy shots.
- Mango and watermelon juice in this recipe gives it the sweet flavor
- Tabasco adds spiciness to the shot, and you can use any other hot sauce if you have a specific one you like.
- Meanwhile, some variations of the Paleta shot used strawberry juice and Tajin Chile powder.
How To Make Paleta Shot
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into shot glasses
- Garnish with lime slices if desired.
Your shot is ready to be served!
Nutritional Facts Per serving
- Calories: 40
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated fat: 0.5 g
- Sugars: 6 g
Here are some of the tips to make the best shot
- Ensure to use good quality ingredients such as good quality tequila and fresh limes or lemons for garnish.
- Use Freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice to add a lot more flavor than a bottled juice will.
- Use real sugar or syrup or corn syrup as a sweetener instead of real sugar like white granulated cane sugar.
Best Hot Sauce To Use For Paleta Shot
For a Mexican candy shot, Tabasco is the best hot sauce to use.
However, you can go with their regular red pepper sauce, or if you want to, you can go for a hotter sauce Tabasco sells; this depends on how much spice you like or doesn’t like in the Paleta shot.
You can also use this flavor if you want to try this different spice
- Green Jalapeno Sauce
- Sweet and Spicy Sauce
- Scorpion Sauce
Best Tequila to Use for Paleta Shot
Reposado is one of the best tequila to use in making Mexican candy shots.
Reposados are kept for at least two months; as such, they’re less harsh than Blancos and more complex than anejos.
However, you can use any brand of Tequila you want for this shot.
Here are some recommended once
- Sauza Silver: it’s the smoothest in the low price range.
- Casamigos Blanco: it has a smooth taste and isn’t as bold as others.
- Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Anejo: it has a charred oak flavor for those who like unique flavors.
Health Benefits of Paleta Shot
This shot contains vitamin C, which helps protect against colds and other illnesses. Also, it is rich in calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth.
It also contains fiber, which helps keep you feeling fuller longer so you can avoid overeating between meals.
Mexican Candy shots are best stored in a cool, dry place. However, don’t store it in the refrigerator, as the moisture can cause the product to become sticky or moldy.
To store them in the refrigerator, ensure they are covered tightly with plastic wrap or a lid before putting them into the fridge.
This way, the moisture that might cause problems for your Mexican shots will be kept out.
A Paleta is a watermelon-flavored Mexican popsicle that was introduced in the 1940s, in a city called Tocumbo, by a couple of local families.
However, the Paleta drink originated from El Paso, Texas, and was named after the famous Mexican-style popsicle since the ingredients are made to mimic the watermelon and spicy flavors.
It is certain types of drinks that fit different kinds of occasions, and it is easy and simple to make.
It can be served at Beach parties, Girls’ Nights, Booze cruises, Bachelorette/Bachelor Party, cookouts / BBQs, and Happy Hour.
It contains 40 calories, 1 g fat, 0.5 g saturated, and 6 g sugar.
To make this drink, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a spoon. Then turn them into shot glasses and garnish them with lime juice.
Thank you for reading! Did you try this recipe? Please share your thoughts with us.