Pikes Peak roast is a time-honored delicacy from Colorado with many connective tissues and muscles, making it tough, yet it is cooked at a low temperature with a soft texture.
If you want to learn more about the finger-licking and lip-smacking recipe, spare five minutes of your time to go through this.
In this recipe, you will learn how to cook and grill your pikes peak roast.
What is Pikes Peak Roast?
It is a meat roast cut from the rounds above the hock. It has much connective tissue and muscle that is tough, but it is cooked at low temperatures to tenderize it.
More so, it is part of the Rocky Mountains, located near Colorado Springs.
This is because cooking a roast on Pikes Peak was once a traditional practice for residents and visitors of the mountain who wanted to show their love for the mountain.
How to Cook Pikes Peak Roast
- 1 large pikes peak roast cut
- Four peppercorns
- ½ tablespoon of chopped dill
- ½ tablespoon of chopped basil
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes
- ½ cup olive oil
- Two beers of your choice
Instructions on how to cook
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the pike peak roast.
- Pat it dry with a paper towel and place it in a big bowl
- Smear the roast with olive oil and pour the beer.
- Marinate for an hour or leave it overnight if you are not in a hurry, as it gives it a better flavor.
- Cut four slits on the roast and place peppercorns in each, then rub it with basil and dill.
- Add the potatoes, onions, and carrots to the dutch oven.
- Then put the meat and sprinkle some beer on it.
- Cover and let the roast cook for about 4 hours or until the thermometer shows the desired temperature.
- Remove from the oven, and use aluminum foil to preserve for 10 minutes.
- Make an irresistible gravy using the sauce stocking at the bottom of the dutch oven or pan.
- Prep time:1 hour
- Cooking time: 4 hours
- Total time: 5 hours
How to make a Grilled Pikes Peak Roast
Grilled pikes peak roast has a smoky flavor and dry rub to make a droll-worth delicacy.
- A large piece of pikes peak roast cut
- 1 chopped black pepper
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1 chopped garlic
- Smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
Instructions on how to grill
- Leave your meat to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes
- Add black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt, and brown sugar.
- Mix them well to make the dry rub.
- Spread olive oil on the roast and sprinkle dry rub over the meat
- Prepare the grill or the smoker at a 300-degree fire.
- Place roast on the grill, ensuring it’s indirect heat, and cover it.
- Let it grill for about 1 to 2 hours.
For a medium roast, grill until 140 degrees, and 190 degrees for a more tender roast at room temperature.
- Wrap the roast with foil or butcher paper to retain juiciness.
- Remove from the grill and place it on a tray for 10 to 15 minutes
- Slice to desired sizes, and it is ready to be sliced.
- Put more spices and vegetables to add flavor. You can use garlic.
- Make sure the slow cooker is in good condition to prevent overheating and causing a fire.
- Use vegetables to get your intended taste. Use a vegetable of choice.
- You can make sandwiches with the remaining pike’s peak roast.
This dish contains the following nutritional information per serving
- Calories: 241kcal
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 20g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Sodium: 6mg
- Potassium: 26mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 1g
- Vitamin A: 241IU
- Vitamin C: 2mg
- Calcium: 9mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Pikes peak roast is rich in protein, with 3 ounces containing 22.5 grams of protein.
- It contains zinc recommended daily intake.
- It also Provides B12 and B6 vitamins.
How to Store Pikes Peak Roast for a long time
- Warp leftovers in a plastic wrapper to prolong leftovers’ freshness and adequately put them in the freezer.
You can also store it in airtight containers or freezer bags.
- More so, you can freeze uncooked roast for a long time when you arrange it flat in the freezer bag. Ensure to Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal then label it.
This way, it can last for 12 months under zero degrees and six months for ground beef.
How to Store Pikes Peak Roast for a short time
- Put your roast in a plastic wrap or airtight can and put it in a freezer, then thaw in the refrigerator or microwave when ready for use.
- Meanwhile, you can store raw and cooked pikes peak roast and use them days later whenever needed.
- You can also store uncooked roast for a short time when you Wrap it using three or more layers of plastic wrap and an upper layer of foil.
- This way, it will stay freshly chilled and is simple to slice.
Pikes Peak roast is a meat roast cut from the rounds above the hock, which has much connective tissue and muscle that makes it tough. However, you can cook or grill this recipe, depending on your choice.
It is an excellent meal to prepare for upcoming parties with friends and family.
We hope this guide has been helpful in explaining how to cook or grill your pikes peak roast. Also, all the ingredients and tips needed to make the meal a perfect dish have been discussed.
We hope you have fun trying this recipe.