Are you curious to know how you can use a pancake mix for waffles? We have got you covered here. This article will explain everything that involves using pancake mix for waffles.
It is very possible to use pancake mix for waffles, with a few modifications to the pancake recipe.
However, you’ll need to add extra oil or fat or leave out one of the eggs to give the waffle a crispy outer layer.
More so, you can use the pancake recipe if you can’t find a waffle recipe for your mix. Since every pancake mix differs, we can’t assure you that it will make perfect waffles.
So, let’s dive into using pancake mix for waffles, the recipes, and the tips you need.
What is Pancake Mix?
A pancake mix usually has less fat and sugar than a waffle mix because the result is usually more cake-like and less crispy.
When you add more fat (or oil) and sugar to the pancake mix, you can get a nice crispy waffle mix instead. However, most waffle and pancake recipes differ by a tablespoon of oil, the number of eggs used, and the amount of milk.
Using Pancake Mix For Waffles
To use your pancake mix to make waffles, you’ll need to make some adjustments to use a little extra oil to use it as a waffle recipe.
As such, For every cup of dry pancake mix, add 2 extra tablespoons of oil.
- 1 cup of your favorite pancake dry mix
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil (melted coconut oil, avocado oil, etc.)
- Other liquid (water, milk, eggs)
- Waffle Maker
- Pancake Griddle
Instructions On How To Prepare
- For 1 cup of dry pancake mix, add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Stir in the other liquid/ingredients that are listed in the recipe above
- Add enough waffle batter to cover the waffle iron (Check the waffle instruction)
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until done.
Tips to Cook the Perfect Pancake
- To cook a perfect pancake starts with using a great mix or recipe.
The three recipe mixes above are simple, tried, and true mixes; however, there are many from-scratch recipes out there with good buttermilk pancakes.
- Use Fresh Ingredients, especially fresh baking powder, to make light and fluffy pancakes.
- When making buttermilk pancakes, use the real deal instead of the milk plus 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Whisk Your Dry Ingredients before adding the wet to break up any dry clumps and prevent your batter from being lumpy.
- Make a well and Add Wet Ingredients using the backside of a spoon, then mix all the wet ingredients separately and pour them into the well.
- Let the Batter Rest for a good, light, and fluffy pancake.
- Use Cold Butter to Grease the Hot Skillet or Use a Griddle to help to fry the pancakes a little giving them great flavor from the butter and just the proper browning.
- Pay Attention and Know When To Flip If the pancakes are cooking too fast, turn the stove or griddle down.
Use more butter If they are sticking.
Tips to Make the Perfect Waffle
- To make the perfect waffle, you must begin just like the perfect pancake.
- Mix the ingredients just as suggested for pancakes, not forgetting to let the batter rest
- Choose a good waffle iron, which could make or break the perfect waffle.
- Begin while the iron is hot to prevent it from being pale and soft.
- Preheat the waffle maker for at least 5-10 minutes
- Use oil instead of butter for crispier waffles.
You can use vegetable oil or coconut oil instead of melted butter in your recipe.
Freeze your extra waffles and let them thaw and just pop them in the toaster oven or toaster when you reheat.
It is possible to use a pancake mix for waffles; however, you need to alter and reduce some ingredients. You may have to reduce the eggs used in a pancake for waffles and use oil instead of butter.
To make crispy waffles using pancake mix, we have explained everything you need to know and do in this blog post.
Hope you find this article on Using pancake mix for waffles helpful.