Even though the Costco Tri tip is gaining more popularity, there are still a lot of people who don’t know too much about this cut.
If you are one of them and you are ready to learn, then you have come to the right place.
The tri tip roast, is a part of the subprimal sirloin cut, and the steak is cut from the tri tip roast.
Although tri tip is a cheaper cut, it boasts an incredible flavor, and it is tender and lovely when appropriately cooked.
If this is your first time preparing Costco Tri Tip, you have come across the best guide.
In this article, we will explain in detail three ways to make your Costco tri tip with ease and everything else you need to know.
What Is Costco Tri-tip?
Tri-Tip was initiated and popularized in California; as such, it’s also known as the California Steak, and it is eaten all over the world!
It is a triangular cut of beef with a very lean and tender piece of meat with a decent amount of marbling that comes from the bottom sirloin subprimal.
This cut has many names, such as Santa Maria Steak, Triangle Tip, Triangle Steak, triangle roast, and Newport steak.
Costco Tri Tip has streaks of fat running through it, and it is sometimes sold with a fat cap on one or both sides.
You can cook this cut of beef on the grill or as sous vide recipe.
How to Make Costco Tri Tip
You can cook this beef in the oven or on the grill. However, in this guide, we will explain:
- How to cook Costco tri tip in the oven
- How to cook Costco tri tip without oven
- How to grill costco tri tip
How To Cook Costco Tri Tip In Oven
To cook this recipe in the oven, get
- Tri-tip Steak
- BBQ rub
- Olive oil
Instructions on how to How To Cook in an Oven
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Rub the dry rub evenly over the steak.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat on the stove.
- Add olive oil once it gets hot and has begun to smoke
- Add the steak with the fat side down if there is a fat cap on the Costco tri tip steak
- Sear without moving for three minutes.
- After ensuring that the bottom of the tri tip is brown and seared, use tongs to sear the edges of the tri tip against the pan for 20 seconds on each side) until lightly browned,
- Then turn off the burner.
Transfer the seared tri tip to the oven to bake at 425°F for about 12 minutes per pound.
- Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes after roasting it in the oven.
- You can cover it with foil if you want to keep it warm, you can cover it with foil.
- You can also add butter if you desire
- Slice thinly and serve with steak sauce or on a tri-tip sandwich. Start by slicing the tri tip in half, then slice each half into thin slices.
How to Cook Costco Tri Tip without oven
To cook Your tri tip without an oven, get
- 2lb tri tip steak
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of beef rub
Instruction on how to prepare
- Preheat the smoker to 225°F
You can use wood chips such as apples or oak.
- Brush the entire steak roast with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the rub over the entire cut.
- Place in the smoker and cook until the internal temperature registers 140°F.
- Take off the heat and rest.
How to Grill Costco Tri Tip
To grill your tri tip steak, get
- 2lb tri tip steak
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 minced garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoon of cubed unsalted butter
- Olive oil
Instructions on how to prepare
- Season the tri tip with salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme and place in an airtight bag, and seal.
- Fill a pot with water and set up the immersion circulator for 135°F.
- Place the bag in it so that the tri tip is submerged.
Ensure the bag is clamped to the side of the pot.
- Cook for three hours before taking out when the thickest part of the tri tip registers 135°F.
- Take the tri tip cut out of the bag, scrape off the thyme and garlic, and pat dry.
- Preheat a grill at this time.
- Brush the Costco roast with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the pan is hot, add the roast and cook on each side for 5 to 7 minutes or until the internal temperature is at 145°F.
- You can take off the heat to rest before cutting.
- Calories: 213
- Total Fat: 11g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Sodium: 62mg
- Potassium: 0mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 0g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 26g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 1%
- Iron: 18%
How To Know When Your Costco Tri-Tip Is Done
If you own a meat thermometer, you can easily check if the meat is cooked to your desired level of doneness.
Here is the temperate chart for the Costco tri tip
- 125-130°F indicates Rare tri-tip, which is still red inside.
- 130-140°F shows a Medium rare tri tip that is red to the pink inside.
- 140-150°F Medium tri tip is mostly pink.
- 150-160°F is a Medium well done and has just a slight bit of pink inside.
- 160°F indicates a Well cooked has no red or pink inside.
What To Serve With Costco Tri Tip
The following goes well with your tri tip
- Asian Noodle Salad
- Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Wedge Salad
- Creamy Green Beans and Mushrooms
- Potato Salad Without Mayo
- Avocado Beet Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Red Potato Salad
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Farmers’ Market Salad with Peaches, Goat Cheese, and Basil
- Baked Potato Salad
How To Store Leftover cooked Costco Tri Tip
You can store leftover cooked Costco Tri Tip in an airtight container in a fridge for up to 4 days.
You can reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power, very gently.
Costco tri tip is a triangular cut of beef with a very lean and tender piece of beef with a decent amount of marbling that comes from the bottom sirloin subprimal.
You can also call it Santa Maria Steak, Triangle Tip, Triangle Steak, triangle roast, and Newport steak.
It has streaks of fat running through it, and it is sometimes sold with a fat cap on one or both sides.
You can cook this cut of beef in the oven, without the oven, and on the grill.
In this guide, we have explained the 3 easiest ways to cook your Costco tri tip recipes in the oven, without the oven, and on the grill.
Also, this recipe contains 213 Calories, 11g of total day, 57mg of cholesterol, 62 mg of sodium, 0mg of potassium, 0g of total carbohydrate, 0g of dietary fiber, 26g of protein, 0% of vitamin A, 0% of Vitamin C, 1% of calcium and 18%/of iron.
You can store leftover Costco tri tip in an airtight container and place it in a fridge for up to 4 days. Then reheat in the microwave when needed.
Did you try this recipe?
Please share your thoughts with us in the comment section.
Is Costco Tri-tip Tender Or Tough?
This recipe is a very flavorful cut and fairly tough, with many muscle fibers running throughout the meat.
Why Do The Meat Rest Before Slicing It?
It is important to let the tri tip meat rest for at least 20 minutes after removing it from the oven.
With this, the juices can redistribute and settle on top of the meat, preventing them from escaping as you slice it.
However, some juices will escape, and you can pour them back on top of the meat after cutting.
How Do I Slice Costco Tri-tip?
The best way to prepare this steak is by cutting it into a juicy steak roast.
All you have to do is to find the center point where the two grains of meat run and cut the tri tip into thin slices perpendicular to the grain of the meat.
At this stage, the meat will be more tender.
Is Costco Tri Tip Good?
Generally, Costco tri tip is pretty good as long as you prepare it in the right way; the results will be well worth the cost of the meat.
Tri tip tastes best when it is cooked to medium rare or medium rare.
How Long Does It Take to Cook a Costco Tri Tip?
With the different cooking methods analyzed in this post, it may take different times to get done with cooking your Costco tri tip.
However, with the grill method, it can take up to 3 hours to cook the meat, while cooking with an oven can take about two hours to prepare.