Sheet pan chicken fajitas are a quick and easy dinner option that will satisfy your cravings for bold, zesty flavors without requiring hours of prep and clean-up.
This one pan meal is a popular choice for busy weeknights, as it allows you to cook everything together, saving you time and effort in the kitchen. With tender chicken, juicy bell peppers, and sweet onions, these fajitas are bursting with delicious Tex-Mex flavors that will make your taste buds dance.
In this blog post, we’ll show you how to make sheet pan chicken fajitas that are healthy, flavorful, and perfect for any occasion. So, let’s get started.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Your favorite toppings (such as sour cream, guacamole, salsa, cheese, and cilantro)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Add bell peppers and onion to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss again.
- Spread chicken mixture in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Serve immediately with tortillas and your favorite toppings.
- For extra flavor, marinate the chicken in the fajita seasoning mixture for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- If you don’t have a rimmed baking sheet, line a regular baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the fajitas ahead of time, cook the chicken and vegetables according to the instructions. Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, reheat in the oven or on the stovetop until warmed through.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, guacamole, salsa, cheese, and cilantro.
What Are Some Healthy Toppings For Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas?
Some healthy toppings for sheet pan chicken fajitas include:
- Fresh salsa
- Sour cream
- Low-fat cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
One serving of sheet pan chicken fajitas typically contains the following nutrients:
- Calories: 300-400
- Fat: 10-15 grams
- Saturated fat: 2-3 grams
- Cholesterol: 75-100 milligrams
- Sodium: 300-400 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 30-40 grams
- Fiber: 5-10 grams
- Protein: 30-40 grams
Is Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Healthy?
Sheet pan chicken fajitas can be a healthy meal option, especially if you use lean protein and healthy cooking methods. The vegetables in fajitas are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and the chicken can provide protein. If you avoid adding too much fat, salt, and sugar, sheet pan chicken fajitas can be a healthy and delicious meal.
Here are some tips for making healthy sheet pan chicken fajitas:
- Use lean protein. Chicken breast or thigh is a good option, or you can use fish or tofu.
- Use healthy cooking methods. Roasting or grilling are the best options, as they don’t add extra fat. You can also use a non-stick pan with a little bit of oil.
- Avoid adding too much fat, salt, and sugar. Fajitas are often high in fat and sodium, so be sure to use moderation when adding these ingredients.
- Add plenty of vegetables. Vegetables are a great way to add nutrients and fiber to your meal.
- Choose healthy toppings. Fajitas are often served with sour cream, cheese, and guacamole. These toppings can be high in calories and fat, so choose them in moderation.
By following these tips, you can make sheet pan chicken fajitas a healthy and delicious meal.thumb_upthumb_downrefresh
Should I Cut Chicken For Fajitas Before Cooking?
Yes, you should cut chicken for fajitas before cooking. Cutting the chicken into thin strips will help it cook evenly and quickly. If you don’t have a sharp knife, you can ask someone to help you or use a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breasts thin.
Here are some tips for cutting chicken for fajitas:
- Use a sharp knife to cut the chicken breasts into thin strips.
- Cut the chicken against the grain to make it more tender.
- If the chicken breasts are large, you may need to cut them in half horizontally before cutting them into strips.
- If you don’t have a sharp knife, you can ask someone to help you or use a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breasts thin.
Once the chicken is cut, you can marinate it in your favorite fajita seasonings or simply cook it as is.
What Goes Well With Fajitas?
There are many different things that go well with fajitas, depending on your personal preferences. Here are a few ideas:
- Side dishes:
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Other toppings:
- Grilled onions
- Grilled peppers
- Lime wedges
You can also get creative and add your own unique toppings and sides to your fajitas. For example, you could add some grilled shrimp or fish, or you could serve your fajitas with a side of black beans and rice. The possibilities are endless.
Sheet pan chicken fajitas are a delicious and healthy meal that is perfect for a busy weeknight. They are easy to make, and they can be customized to your liking. You can add different vegetables, proteins, and toppings to make them your own. So next time you’re looking for a quick and easy meal, give sheet pan chicken fajitas a try.
Can I use a different type of protein instead of chicken?
Yes! Sheet pan fajitas can be made with various proteins like shrimp, beef, or tofu. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I use frozen vegetables instead of fresh?
Fresh vegetables will provide better flavor and texture, but you can use frozen vegetables in a pinch. Just be sure to thaw and drain them before adding them to the sheet pan.
Are sheet pan chicken fajitas gluten free?
Sheet pan chicken fajitas can be made gluten free by using corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. However, be sure to check the seasoning mix to ensure there are no gluten-containing ingredients.