Waffle house patty melt is a special food item at Waffle House. It is a cheesy, crispy, highly flavorful sandwich and mouth-watering food that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
It is also one of the most popular sandwiches made with bacon, ham, and turkey.
So, how do you prepare a homemade version of the Waffle house patty melt recipe? Let’s talk about that in this guide.
What is Waffle House Patty Melt?
Waffle House is a restaurant based in the United States that specialize in breakfast foods, including omelets, eggs, and hash browns
They also serve sandwiches and burgers.
The Waffle House Patty Melt is a unique sandwich made with two slices of bacon, American cheese, grilled onions, and lettuce and served between two pieces of white or wheat toast.
How to Make Waffle House Patty Melt
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 8 Slices of bread
- Grated Cheddar cheese
- Grated swiss cheese
- ¾ cup of Onion
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- A Pack of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
If you are allergic to any of the
- Ground beef
You can use ground pork for your patties melt instead if you can’t get ground beef.
More so, use the same seasonings, as well as the cooking method, to prepare your homemade patty melt.
Moreover, Pork is a versatile option, and many people enjoy it in their burgers, as it doesn’t have a dominant flavor profile or aroma.
- Swiss cheese
If you are not a fan of Swiss cheese, you can use Edam cheese instead!
This cheese is slightly nutty and savory, yet also sweet, and it is a great option to combine with the beef patties, as well as toasted bread.
Also, It melts just like Swiss cheese, and it brings no difference in taste or texture.
- Cheddar cheese
The best replacement for cheddar cheese in this recipe would be Colby cheese because it is buttery, mild, and predominantly sweet.
However, it is recommended to add freshly grated cheese instead of pre-grated, regardless of the type of cheese you choose for your Waffle House patty melt.
Also, American cheese is a rather convenient and effective solution if you want cheese that melts beautifully and creates the texture you’d expect in a patty melt.
Meanwhile, ensure to add a slice of cheese directly onto the beef patty for 2 to 3 minutes before taking the patties out of the skillet to allow the cheese to melt.
- Worcestershire sauce
Soy sauce can be used as a substitute for Worcestershire sauce.
It adds a savory, umami, and slightly sweet flavor to the ground beef.
Soy sauce also offers a toasty, almost caramelized aroma, which will complement the caramelized onions beautifully.
Instructions on How to make a waffle house patty melt
- Put the butter in a medium-heat skillet and allow it to melt.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt, and sliced onions to it
- Let it cook for 20mins
- Lower the heat and stir frequently to avoid burning and stickiness.
- Add a pack of Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and black pepper to th3 ground beef.
- Mix the seasoning and meat thoroughly and avoid the patties being too sticky.
- Add vegetable oil and let the oil heat up in a large skillet.
- Put the patties in the skillet and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Ensure not to flip the patties more than once.
- Toast the bread after ensuring that the patties have been well cooked.
- Coat one side of the sliced bread with a bit of butter which will be the outer side of the sandwich.
- Add the grated cheese, caramelized onions, and patties on top of the coated bread and cover with another slice of bread.
- Heat up a small amount of butter in a skillet and place the sandwich in it
- Ensure that the side with the butter is below.
- Toast it till you’re satisfied with how crispy the bread is.
- Your dish is ready to be Served with mayonnaise.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
Fat: 50 grams
Expert Cooking Tips
- Use a spatula to spread the cheese on top of the burger patty to help the cheese melt and stick to the patty better.
- Ensure to cook the patty until it is cooked through. But don’t overcook, as the cheese will be too crispy and hard.
- Cook the cheese for less time than normal if you want it a little softer.
- Place the burger in a skillet over medium heat with a little bit of olive oil and let it cook until it is golden brown on both sides to help keep it from getting soggy from sitting in melted cheese or sauce.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste once your burger is ready.
- You can top it off with your favorite toppings like lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onions!
What To Serve With Waffle House Patty Melt
The Patty Melt can be served with any of our favorite sides to make a complete meal.
You can also pair it with:
- Waffle fries
- Baked beans
Storage and Reheating Information
How to Store Leftover Waffle House Patty Melt
Leftover Waffle House Patty Melt can be wrapped in foil or plastic wrap and placed in the freezer for up to 24 hours.
Then unwrap it and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving when you are ready to eat it.
How to Reheat
You can reheat Waffle House Patty Melt in the microwave or a grill pan, or you can cook it over medium heat.
To reheat in the microwave, place the patty melt on a plate and heat it up in the microwave for about one minute at a time until it’s heated through.
To reheat on the grill pan, heat both sides for about five minutes on each side, then serve hot.
The Waffle House Patty Melt is a special sandwich made with two slices of bacon, American cheese, grilled onions, and lettuce and served between two pieces of white or wheat toast.
It is one of the most popular sandwiches of the waffle house restaurants in the united states, made with bacon, ham, and turkey.
This recipe contains simple ingredients which can also be substituted with some other ingredients if you are allergic to one or you can’t get it.
For a perfect Waffle house patty melt homemade recipe, Use a spatula to spread the cheese on top of the burger patty to help the cheese melt and stick to the patty better.
In addition, ensure to cook the patty until it is cooked through. You can Cook the cheese for less time than normal if you want it a little softer.
This recipe can be stored in an airtight container in a freezer for up to 24 hours.
You can then reheat it in the microwave, grill it, or cook it over medium heat.
Did you try out this recipe? Kindly share your thoughts with us in the comments box.
We hope to see you soon for a more interesting reading.
What is Waffle House patty melt made of?
The Waffle House Patty Melt is a sandwich made with simple ingredients of two slices of bacon, American cheese, grilled onions, and lettuce.
It is best served between two pieces of white or wheat toast.
What is the difference between a patty melt and a burger?
A patty melt sandwich is a variant of the classic American cheeseburger.
However, both dishes include ground beef patties and cheese.
The cheeseburger is served on a soft bun, while a patty melt is prepared with griddled sandwich bread.
What meat is a patty melt made of?
Patty melt is made of ground beef which can be substituted with pork.
A patty melt is a thin beef patty cooked between two pieces of toasted bread with cheese and onions.
Can you reheat a patty melt?
Yes, you can reheat your patty melt in the microwave, grill, or cook on the stovetop.
How do I air fry leftover patty melt?
To Preheat the leftover patty melt with the air fryer, turn the air fryer to a temperature of 400F and let it preheat for 3-5 minutes.
Add the cooked burger patties straight from the fridge to the bottom of the air fryer basket in a single layer with no overlapping.
Then set the timer for 5 minutes.